Unlike the other fortresses, the one in Forlimpopoli
is located in the lowlands. Built to protect the
surrounding area, it was erected between 1361
and 1363 by Cardinal Egidio d’Albornoz upon the
ruins of the Romanesque cathedral.
At the end of
the 15th century, the structure acquired its current
quadrangular shape, with the round corner towers
and covered walkways. With the Zampeschi family
it turned into a “princely” residence. Ceded to the
municipality during the Napoleonic era, it underwent
The Forlimpopoli Fortress
is also characterised by the variety of its uses. In fact,
it hosts the municipal offices, while a drawbridge
leads to the historic “Giuseppe Verdi” cinema and
theatre, made famous by the bold assault of the
“Passatore” in 1851. Finally, the ground floor houses
the “T. Aldini” Archaeological Museum.
summer the internal courtyard welcomes various
national festivals, theatrical performances, film
screenings, and historical re-enactments. Finally,
the fortress serves as the suggestive backdrop of the
city’s biggest events, starting with the ‘Segavecchia’
and the ‘Festa Artusiana’.
Forlimpopoli Casa Artusi
Founded in 2007, “Casa Artusi” is the
first culinary cultural centre dedicated
to Italian cuisine. It combines
“knowledge” and “know-how” through
a library, school, restaurant, museum,
and program of major events.
Forlimpopoli Museo Archeologico "Tobia Aldini"
Located inside of the fortress, the
museum illustrates the local history
of the region, from prehistoric times
to the Renaissance. Of particular
note are the large figurative mosaics
(Roman Age)and the characteristic
‘Foropopiliensi’ amphorae and the
Forlimpopoli Chiesa dei Servi
Built in the second half of the 15th century, it
acquired its current physiognomy in the 18th
century with the raising of the monumental elliptical
drum and the addition of Baroque decorations.
Inside, it houses a precious Annunciation by Marco
Palmezzano (1533) and an organ with doors painted
by Livio Modigliani (1576).
Forlimpopoli Teatro Verdi
Built at the start of the 19th century, the
small theatre is today used primarily for
film screenings. In the parterre, a plaque
commemorates the famous incursion by
the Passatore gang on 25 June 1851.
Forlimpopoli Loggia della Misura e Loggia della Beccheria
Both arcades were created in the mid-19th
century by the burial of part of the fortress’s
moat. The Loggia della Misura, built in
1817, is characterised by simple Tuscanstyle
columns. Not far away, the Loggia
della Beccheria, with its characteristic
portico, was built in 1865 to accommodate
slaughtering activities and the sale of meat.
Forlimpopoli Parco Fluviale dello Spinadello
The natural oasis of the Meandri del Fiume Ronco Park is located just a few minutes from
Forlimpopoli. It can be reached from the visitors’ centre of the former Spinadello aqueduct
which was built at the end of the 1920s in the rationalist style and on which the threedimensional
writing “Acquedotto Spinadello” stands out in futurist characters.
Forlimpopoli Basilica di San Rufillo
Named for the first bishop of Forlimpopoli
and patron saint of the city, the church was
erected between the 6th and 8th centuries.
Between 1819 and 1821 it acquired its
current neoclassical form. The splendid
16th century stone sepulchres stand out
on the facade, while inside important paintings are preserved.