The fortress of Predappio Alta is small, but proved itself to be impregnable. Erected some time between the 9th and 10th centuries by local feudal lords in 909 it belonged to Forlì’s noble Calboli family, who endowed it with a defensive structure.

In 1471, Pino Ordelaffi expanded and fortified it, turning it into an impregnable stronghold. Its elevated and hard-to-reach position certainly contributed, located on a rocky summit made of puddingstone, a natural conglomerate of pebbles and siliceous limestone cement, named after English ‘pudding’. The locals more hurriedly call it ‘prè’ (stone) and it’s from here that Predappio gets its name. The fortess is open to the public only for special events, but is worth visiting.

Predappio Casa natale Mussolini

A modest building, constructed with large spungone rocks and stones. Benito Mussolini was born here on 29 July 1883. For over twenty years it has been used as an exhibition space and annually hosts exhibits connected to the history of Predappio.

Predappio Cimitero e Chiesa di San Cassiano

This small countryside cemetery was significally expanded by Mussolini who located the family tomb in it. The church dates back to the year 1001. Severely damaged by an earthquake in the 17th century, it underwent a profound Baroque makeover. In 1930, its Romanesque appearance was restaured. Of note inside are two altars, the baptismal font, and a cross, positioned on the high altar, which is the work of a student of Beato Angelico. However the oldest part of the church is the crypt, perhaps of Byzantine origin.

Predappio Museo Urbano

The foundation of Predappio, which took place between 1925 and 1942, features the primary themes taken into consideration by Italian architecture dating from the early decades of the 20th century: the planning of infrastructure, national architectural competitions, the traditionalist-rationalist dispute, and a “monumental” style. In the “planned city” of Predappio, the buildings serve as the elements of a true urban museum.

Predappio Asilo Oratorio di Santa Rosa

Build in 1925 as a parish church, it then was annexed to an asylum and an oratory. It houses the “Madonna del Fascio”, a large azulejos ceramic panel; the “Madonna del Libro” by a Tuscan painter near to the Raphael-school.

Predappio Palazzo Varano

Serving as the current seat of the municipal offices, this building is located in a dominant position of Sant’Antonio Piazza. Though of ancient origin, it was significantly transformed between 1926 and 1927 by architect Florestano Di Fausto.

Predappio Chiesa di Sant'Antonio

Designed by C. Bazzani, Church of Sant’Antonio dominates the piazza and church houses particularly important works, like the bronze bas-relief tiles which frame the entrance. A relic is preserved inside, the sacred thorn of Christ’s crown, which gives this church a position of “religious privilege”.